Karen Nashiwa joined Folawn Alterman & Richardson LLP as an associate in 2012. Karen is a business attorney as well as a civil litigator. She focuses her practice on business and real estate transactions and commercial disputes. She most recently was a trial attorney for a large nationwide insurance company. In the past two years, she was responsible for over 100 cases in various stages of litigation, from motion practice and discovery through trial. Prior to moving to Portland in 2009, she was a tax associate at a large Honolulu, Hawaii accounting firm.
Karen prides herself on being professionally and personally connected with the Portland community. She is a board member of the Oregon Women Lawyers Foundation. As an active member of the Oregon Asian Pacific American Bar Association, she led its leadership initiative subcommittee. Karen also paddles with the Stumpton dragonboat team and is an avid runner.
Karen earned her B.A. from Claremont McKenna College in 2003 and received her J.D. from the University of Washington, School of Law in 2006.
Professional Memberships, Civic Activities & Awards
- Board Member, Oregon Women Lawyers Foundation, 2009-Present
- Treasurer, Oregon Women Lawyers Foundation, 2012-Present
- Treasurer, Oregon Asian Pacific American Bar Association, 2012-Present
- Oregon Women Lawyers
- Multnomah Bar Association
- Fellow, Asian Pacific American Community Leadership Institute, 2012-2013
- Lewis and Clark Law School Hon. Darleen Ortega Outstanding Mentor Award, 2012-2013
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court for District of Oregon
- U.S. District Court for District of Hawaii